Clinical Medical Assistant
A Clinical Medical Assistant is involved in the comprehensive office functions and setup of patients for medical facilities. You will learn the practice and management of a medical office in areas such as receptionist duties, telephone techniques, appointment scheduling, verbal and written communications, medical and non-medical record management, and patient setup for triage care.
Clinical duties vary according to state law and include: taking health histories and recording vital signs, explaining treatment procedures to patients, preparing patients for examination, and assisting the physician during the examination.
You will develop skills through classroom training and online lectures followed by an externship. Upon completion of the course, you are prepared to work as a phlebotomist and may be eligible to take the ASCP certification exam (if all requirements are met).
Employers: home healthcare facilities, hospitals, laboratories, outpatient clinics, physician offices, and urgent care companies.
Salary: $25,640 (entry) to $38,900 (experienced). Salary may vary depending upon location, experience and hours.
Job Outlook: 18.2% growth in Central NY (NYS DOL statistics), 29% growth nationally (US DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics).
• Be 18 years of age or older to be placed in an externship site or to take the certification exam
• Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
• Proficiency in vocabulary, comprehension, and math concepts
• Many employers will require that you have suitable vision and hearing (normal or corrected), suitable psychomotor skills, hand-eye coordination, and finger agility, and be able to stand for an extended period of time.
• Fingerprinting and/or a background check may be required prior to the externship and could be required for state licensure. Any fees for this would be the responsibility of the student.
• Certification exam is optional and additional fee applies
Program is flipped learning format. Students meet every Thursday evening on the Dryden Campus for labs. The rest of week is spent working through the online platform.
Thursdays | Mar 7 – Jul 25 | 5 – 9 pm
Dryden/Online | $3299
Externship available July 26 – September 26, 2019. No class July 4, 2019. E-books and supplies included in course fee. No class March 19, 2019. National exam fee not included.
Program also available 100% online- Course fee $2999, includes e-book. You begin when it is convenient for you. Externship available. You will need access to a computer and internet. The course will consists of viewing video lectures, quizzes and exams.