This program will cover topics essential to becoming a dental assistant. Students will learn the legal and ethical responsibilities of the dental healthcare worker. An introduction to general dental settings and office procedures will be covered as well as the principles of microbiology, disease prevention, and infection control procedures. By the completion of this program, students will have knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the mouth as it relates to dental functions.
Employers: Mostly dental offices.
Salary: $28,480 (entry) to $39,310 (experienced). Salary my vary depending upon location, experience and hours.
Job Outlook: 2.4% growth in Central NY and 3.3% growth in Southern Tier NY (NYS DOL statistics), 19% growth nationally (US DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Areas of Study Include:
• Legal and ethical responsibilities of the dental health care worker
• General dental setting/office procedures
• Principles of microbiology and disease prevention and infection control procedures
• Anatomy and physiology as it relates to Dental functions
• Record patient assessment data; use and knowledge of dental instruments and equipment
• Pharmacology and anesthesia as they relate to dentistry
• Be 18 years of age or older
• Have a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
• Proficiency in vocabulary, comprehension, and math concepts
• Many employers will require that you have suitable vision and hearing (normal or corrected), suitable psychomotor skills, hand-eye coordination, and finger agility, and be able to stand for an extended period of time
• Certification exam is optional and additional fee applies (Registered Dental Assistant, National Entry Level Dental Assistant)
This is an online course. You will need access to a computer and internet. The course will consists of viewing video lectures, quizzes and exams.
Online, independent study. Begins at your convenience.
$2899, includes E-book and externship.
To Register please email BIZ@tompkinscortland.edu