In the United States Health Care System, proper medical care and outcomes are integral to the success of patient treatment goals. As the population begins to rise and services are needed at a higher demand costs begin to rise as well. Patients in the United States carry public, private, or combination types of health care insurance plans. Medical centers must fill out claim forms that require individuals to identify the proper disease state and medical condition for reimbursement. As a medical coder, patient coding with proper procedure and protocol is integral to the financial success.
Employers: home healthcare facilities, hospitals, laboratories, outpatient clinics, physician offices, and urgent care companies.
Salary: $28,170 (entry) to $45,830 (experienced). Salary may vary depending upon location, experience and hours.
Job Outlook: 2.5% growth in Central NY and 15% growth in Southern Tier NY (NYS DOL statistics), 15% growth nationally (US DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Areas of Study Include:
• Health care delivery system and health occupations
• Anatomy and physiology of the human body
• Application of medical terminology
• Disease processes in relationship to the human body, including pharmacology
• ICD and CPT coding systems, both manual and automated
• Medical coding referencing
• Basics of health information services
• Ethical and legal principles with regard to medical records
• Computer skills
• Safety and security of health information
• Be 18 years of age or older
• Have a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
• Proficiency in vocabulary, comprehension, and math concepts
• Many employers will require that you have suitable vision and hearing (normal or corrected), suitable psychomotor skills, hand-eye coordination, and finger agility, and be able to stand for an extended period of time
• Certification exam is optional and additional fee applies
This is an online course. You will need access to a computer and internet. The course will consists of viewing video lectures, quizzes and exams.
Online, independent study. Begins at your convenience.
$1799, includes E-book
To Register please email BIZ@tompkinscortland.edu