Our Pharmacy Technician Program is designed to help you advance your current health care career or to find entry-level employment in this field. Pharmacy technicians enjoy a rewarding career in the constantly growing and evolving field of health care and prescription medicine while maintaining a stable and straightforward work environment.
As a certified pharmacy technician, you are the liaison between medical professionals, doctors, pharmacists, insurance companies and patients. You will receive and verify prescriptions and prepare patient medication. As part of your training in our Pharmacy Technician Training Program, you’ll gain experience with IV therapy. This skill set, most often used in hospitals, helps better prepare students for a variety of jobs in the field, offering graduates a competitive advantage. You will develop your skills through classroom training and online lectures followed by an externship.
Blending medicine, math and chemistry, you will take classes that prepare you to:
• Provide medication and other health products to patients
• Mix intravenous solutions
• Count tablets and label bottles
• Receive electronic prescriptions from medical offices
• Handle computer order entry of prescriptions
• Receive written prescriptions and requests for patient refills
• Verify complete and accurate prescriptions Stock and inventory prescription and over-the-counter medications
Employers: retail pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, and veterinary offices.
Salary: $22,420 (entry) to $35,550 (experienced). Salary my vary depending upon location, experience and hours.
Job Outlook: 9.3% growth in Central NY (NYS DOL statistics), 12% growth nationally (US DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Areas of Study Include:
• Assist pharmacists in preparing medications for patients
• Mathematical calculations
• A basic knowledge of medications
• How medications work
• Drug interactions
• Process of stocking and inventorying medications
• Common disease states
• Be 18 years of age or older to be placed in an externship site or to take the certification exam
• Have a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
• Do not have any prior criminal background. Please note that employers will perform a background check on applicants. No felony or misdemeanor related to the sale of drugs. Traffic violations and any other issues must be cleared up before the externship and is the sole responsibility of each student
• Proficiency in vocabulary, comprehension, and math concepts
• A history of vaccinations is periodically required to work in the externship
• Fingerprinting and/or a background check prior to the externship and could be required for state licensure. Any associated fee is not covered by tuition
• Certification exam is optional and additional fee applies
• Must be proficient in English and have adequate knowledge of 9th/10th grade algebra and arithmetic
• Certification is optional and extra fee applies. You are prepared to sit for TWO national certification exams: Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) - Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), and Exam for the Certified Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) - National HealthCareer Association (NHA).
Program is flipped learning format. Students meet every Wednesday evening on the Dryden Campus for labs. The rest of week is spent working through the online platform.
Wednesdays | Apr 3 – Jul 24 | 5 – 9 p.m.
Dryden/Online | $2800
Externship July 25 – September 25, 2019. E-books and supplies included in course fee. National exam fee not included.
Program also available 100% online. You begin when it is convenient for you. Externship available. You will need access to a computer and internet. The course will consists of viewing video lectures, quizzes and exams.
Course fee $2499, includes e-book.