Phlebotomists are skilled health care professionals trained to collect, transport, handle and process blood and other specimens for laboratory analysis using venipuncture and micro collection techniques.
You will develop skills in performing phlebotomy procedures through classroom training and online lectures followed by an externship. Upon completion of the course, you are prepared to work as a phlebotomist and may be eligible to take the ASCP certification exam (if all requirements are met).
Employers: home healthcare facilities, hospitals, laboratories, outpatient clinics, physician offices, and urgent care companies.
Salary: $25,740 (entry) to $34,470 (experienced). Salary my vary depending upon location, experience and hours.
Job Outlook: 16.7% growth in Central NY (NYS DOL statistics), 25% growth nationally (US DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Areas of Study Include:
• Demonstrate professional, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Discuss phlebotomy in relation to the health care setting
• Identify the anatomic structure and function of body systems
• Recognize and identify collection reagents supplies, equipment and interfering chemical substances
• Demonstrate skills and knowledge necessary to perform phlebotomy
• Practice infection control following universal (standard) precautions
• Practice accepted procedures of transporting, accessioning and processing specimens
• Practice quality assurance and safety
• Be 18 years of age or older to be placed in an externship site or to take the certification exam
• Have a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
• Proficiency in vocabulary, comprehension, and math concepts
• Many employers will require that you have suitable vision and hearing (normal or corrected), suitable psychomotor skills, hand-eye coordination, and finger agility, and be able to stand for an extended period of time
• Fingerprinting and/or a background check may be required prior to the externship and could be required for state licensure. Any associated fee is not covered by tuition
• Certification exam is optional and additional fee applies
Program is flipped learning format. Students meet every Tuesday evening on the Dryden Campus for labs. The rest of week is spent working through the online platform.
Tuesdays | Feb 12 – May 28 |5 – 9 pm
Dryden/Online | $2499
100-hour externship available May 29 – July 29, 2019. E-books and supplies included in course fee. No class March 19, 2019. National exam fee not included.
Program also available 100% online. You begin when it is convenient for you. Externship available. You will need access to a computer and internet. The course will consists of viewing video lectures, quizzes and exams.
Course fee $1999, includes e-book and lab supplies.