Testing and Scheduling START
Get ready to enroll! For most students, the enrollment process has several steps:
- Many students who do not have prior college credit in English and/or Math take a placement test first.
- All students must complete the Pre-Advising Questionnaire prior to their START session.
- Last, students meet with an advisor at a START session to register for classes.
STARTing early leads to success!
- Complete the enrollment process as soon as possible.
- Register early to make sure you get the courses you need at the days and times that work best for you.
- Check your email regularly, test early, and schedule START as soon as possible.
Taking the Placement Tests
New students must meet certain Admissions criteria to take their placement tests and will receive email communication from the college when they are ready to test.
5 Different Placement Testing Options
1. Test at the Dryden Main Campus – To schedule your placement tests, please use the link in your email or call 607.844.6580.
2. Test in the evening at one of our Extension Centers –
Testing is available on select dates in the evening at our Ithaca and Cortland Extension Centers. You must schedule online using the link in your email or call 607.844.6580 to set up your test.
3. Test closer to home
- Tompkins Cortland students who are unable to come to one of our locations to test can test closer to home.
- To do so you must find an approved proctor who has a .gov, .edu, or .org email address who is not related to you.
- Students may check with a local high school, college or university, or library to see if the staff there can proctor your tests..
- Once you have found a proctor who meets this criteria, you must complete the Distance Proctor Request Form NO LATER THAN three (3) business days prior to the date you have scheduled/would like to take your test.
- Tompkins Cortland staff will set up an account for your proctor and will communicate with you and your proctor via email to send instructions for your tests.
4. Test at the SUNY Welcome Center in New York City
- If you live near New York City, you may take your placement tests at the SUNY Welcome Center on select dates.
- Tompkins Cortland staff will create a voucher for your test at SUNY in NYC. Once you have your voucher number, you need to schedule your test online through the link provided in your voucher.
- To test at the SUNY Welcome Center, students MUST complete the Offsite Placement Test Request Form NO LATER THAN three (3) business days prior to the date you have scheduled/would like to take your test.
- Students will receive an email from the college when they are ready to schedule their START session.
- START sessions take place on selected dates from April 29 through August 23 for students entering in the Fall 2019 semester.
- Students must have completed START by August 23 to attend in the Fall semester.
- All students must attend a START session at the Dryden main campus prior to the first day of classes unless they are fully online students*.
For more information about what to expect at your START session, visit our START page.
Space is limited in each START session and students must sign up to attend START using the personalized link received by email. We cannot accept walk-ins.
*NOTE: Students pursuing a fully online degree at the College or those who live too far away to reasonably travel to Tompkins Cortland can work with an advisor from the Student Success office to complete START without visiting campus, usually via phone. Email email@example.com to request an exemption from the required on-campus session.
There are a limited number of START sessions offered. Space is limited in each START. Students must register to attend START and need to prioritize this important step. If an emergency arises and a student cannot attend your scheduled orientation date, they must contact us at 607.844.6580 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance.