Geotechnical Lab Technician Credential
Quality and safety are key in the construction world! The Geotechnical Lab Technician Credential provides you with an understanding of soil properties and their impact on engineering projects, strength of materials with emphasis on concrete and other construction materials, and technical writing of project reports. Through this credential, you can expect to develop necessary skills required for geotechnical lab and field testing. Graduates of this credential will be prepared to take the ACI CP-1 Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I Certification.
Related job titles may include:
- Testing Technician
- Geotechnical / Construction Materials Testing Technician
- Field Testing Technician
- Laboratory Testing Technician
Thank you to SJB Empire Geoservices and City of Ithaca for helping create this microcredential. Our industry and community partners are vital to the success of our microcredential programs and many are leading employers of our graduates. Regional employers that typically recruit for these roles, include:
- ATL Atlantic Testing Laboratories
- CME Associates, Inc
- Kenney Geotechnical Engineering Services
- Parratt-Wolf Inc
- Terracon Construction Materials Engineering & Testing
The Geotechnical Lab Technician Credential at Tompkins Cortland requires students to earn a passing grade in three courses, which can typically be completed in two semesters. These three courses can also be applied towards the Applied Science and Technology A.A.S. degree and the Construction and Environmental Technology A.A.S. degree. Lab courses are offered in-person, evening formats; other courses are offered in hybrid formats.
Printable version of credential checklist
FINANCING YOUR MICROCREDENTIAL
There are many resources available to assist you in paying for your microcredential. Discuss your options with an Admissions representative when you register.
- Grant money is available through the Tompkins Community Recovery Fund for Tompkins County residents
- Grants are available through Tompkins Workforce NY Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center for county residents
- Several employers in our community offer tuition reimbursement and sponsorship specifically for microcredentials
- Financial aid is available to eligible students who pursue the credential while matriculated in a degree program. Apply today!