Micro-Nano Fabrication Safety Credential
Small-scale work with a big impact! The Micro-Nano Fabrication Safety Credential provides you with the fundamental knowledge required to work safely and effectively in the semiconductor cleanroom environment as well as other high-tech scientific facilities. Tompkins County and the surrounding Upstate NY area are rich in high-tech companies seeking talented employees, and the number of jobs in this field will increase dramatically in the future. Through a partnership with the Cornell NanoScale Facility (CNF) on the Cornell University campus in nearby Ithaca, you will use the CNF specialized labs for your coursework, earning valuable experience as you prepare for careers in the semiconductor and micro-nano fabrication sector. Through this experience, you can expect to gain skills in cleanroom use and maintenance, nanotechnology, characterization at the nanoscale, basic chemistry, and basic electricity.
Searchable job titles may include:
- Cleanroom Technician – Entry Level
- Semiconductor Manufacturing Laboratory Maintenance Technician – Entry Level
Thank you to the Cornell NanoScale Facility, Odyssey Semiconductor, Inc., and Calient Technologies, Inc. for helping create this microcredential. Our industry and community partners are vital to the success of our microcredential programs and many are leading employers of our graduates. Regional employers that typically recruit for these roles, include:
- Cornell NanoScale Facility
- Odyssey Semiconductor, Inc.
- Pall Corporation
The Micro-Nano Fabrication Safety Credential at Tompkins Cortland requires you to earn a passing grade in four courses, which can typically be completed in one semester. These four courses can also be applied towards the Applied Science and Technology A.A.S. degree. Courses are available in in-person and hybrid formats.
Printable version of credential checklist
CHEM 101 Principles of Chemistry I (4 credits) or CHEM 107 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
ELEC 128 Fundamentals of Electricity (4 credits)
MNT 100 Cleanroom Orientation and Safety (1 credit)
MNT 101 Technology and Characterization at the Nanoscale (1 credit)
FINANCING YOUR MICROCREDENTIAL
There are many resources available to assist you in paying for your microcredential. Discuss your options with an Admissions representative when you register.
- Grant money is available through the Tompkins Community Recovery Fund for Tompkins County residents
- Grants are available through Tompkins Workforce NY Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center for county residents
- Several employers in our community offer tuition reimbursement and sponsorship specifically for microcredentials
- Financial aid is available to eligible students who pursue the credential while matriculated in a degree program. Apply today!