Special Education Advocacy Credential
The world of special education can be daunting, but you can help families navigate the confusion! The Special Education Advocacy Credential prepares you to be an effective special education advocate on behalf of public-school children—covering all requisite education law, disability needs, and legal standards. Upon completion of the classes, you will develop an understanding of law and case, legal research, and the specific rules, regulations and procedures involving advocacy for students with non-typical needs.
This credential is appropriate for individuals interested in:
- Assisting parents in advocating for their child’s educational needs
- Assisting schools’ administrations in addressing special educational needs
- Working with attorneys in law offices that represent parents, educational entities, or both
Thank you to the Cuddy Law Firm for helping create this microcredential. Our industry and community partners are vital to the success of our microcredential programs and many are leading employers of our graduates. Types of employers that typically recruit individuals with these skills, include:
- Law offices
- Publics primary and secondary schools
- Colleges and universities
The Special Education Advocacy Credential at Tompkins Cortland requires you to earn a passing grade in four courses, which can typically be completed in as little as two semesters. These four courses can be applied towards the Paralegal A.A.S. degree. Courses are available fully online. Printable version of credential checklist
ENGL 101 Academic Writing II
FINANCING YOUR MICROCREDENTIAL
There are many resources available to assist you in paying for your microcredential. Discuss your options with an Admissions representative when you register.
- Grant money is available through the Tompkins Community Recovery Fund for Tompkins County residents
- Grants are available through Tompkins Workforce NY Career Center and Cortland Works Career Center for county residents
- Several employers in our community offer tuition reimbursement and sponsorship specifically for microcredentials
- Financial aid is available to eligible students who pursue the credential while matriculated in a degree program. Apply today!