The Office of Access and Equity Services is ready, willing, and able to assist wounded warriors transitioning to Tompkins Cortland. While getting documentation of your disability from the military can sometimes be a difficult process, we can assist you with that process as well as put temporary measures in place to assure that you are provided appropriate modifications to fit your individual needs. Recent changes with the military’s stance on diagnosing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) will provide many former active duty and current reserve service members with the opportunity to be provided with a reduced distraction (reduced stress) testing environment, among other possible modifications and/or auxiliary aids and services. Other diagnoses may also receive academic adjustments including, but not limited to: Traumatic Brain Injury, orthopedic injuries, pain management, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, depression, and anxiety disorders.
Academic adjustments may include, but are not limited to:
- Test-taking modifications
- Special classroom seating (including padded chairs with or without arms)
- Note-taking assistance
- Being able to use a recorder to record the class
- Print materials in alternative formats
- Calculators, word processors, specialized computer software or hardware
Assistance with financial aid is available through a Financial Aid Counselor and Veteran’s Coordinator. Scholarship information as well as information and links to the paperwork required by the military is available on that site.
Please allow us to assist you in meeting your postsecondary educational goals. Contact Carolyn Boone, ext 4283, email@example.com, Coordinator of Access and Equity Services or Scott Bennett, ext. 4416, firstname.lastname@example.org, Coordinator of Tutoring and Accommodation Services.
- Academic Adjustments
- Access and Equity
- Assistive Technology
- Documentation Guidelines
- Emergency Evacuation Procedures for Persons with Disabilities
- Financial Aid
- National Voter Registration Act (NVRA)
- Policies and Procedures
- Testing Modification Appointments
- Transitioning from High School to College
- Wounded Warriors