Other Student Grievances
This process is intended to be used to address problems arising in the relationship between a student and a staff or faculty member that are not specifically governed by one of the other procedures and that involve a violation, misunderstanding or arbitrary, capricious or inequitable application of a regulation, policy or process of the College.
Unless it is inappropriate to do so, the student should first attempt an informal settlement with the employee of the College, Faculty Student Association or Tompkins Cortland Foundation. If no mutually satisfactory informal settlement can be reached, the student should file a written statement of grievance with the appropriate dean:
- Dean of Student Life for non-academic complaints
- Dean of Instruction for academic complaints
The written statement should be delivered by email or hard copy to the appropriate dean within a reasonable time, generally within two (2) weeks of the complained about conduct (or two weeks into the next semester if the conduct occurred less than two weeks before the last day of a semester).
Following filing of the written complaint, the dean will conduct an independent investigation including interviewing all parties and any witnesses deemed relevant and material to the issues raised and shall make a final determination in the matter and notify all parties of the final decision, in writing, within two (2) weeks.
Either party shall have the further right to appeal the decision of the dean to the Provost. The appeal shall be in writing, setting forth the reasons the decision of the dean should not be carried out and specifically setting forth the grounds for such appeal. This request must be made within ten (10) days after receiving the written decision. Requirements for the appeal can be found in General Information Related To All Grievance And Conduct Violation Procedures.
The Provost shall make a final adjudication and determination in the matter and notify both parties and the appropriate dean of the final decision in writing within thirty (30) days. The dean will administer the decision of the Provost.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Student Email Accounts
- Human Rights
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Policy on HIV and AIDS
- Grievance and Conduct Violation Policies Overview
- Contact Information
Academic Policies and Regulations
- Statement of Academic Integrity Policy
- Violation of Academic Integrity Policy
- Attendance Policy
- Classroom Behavior
- Grade Challenge
- Disability-Related Accommodation
- Computer Resources Use Protocol
Non-Academic Policies and Regulations
- Non-Academic Code of Conduct
- Non-Academic Code of Conduct Violation Hearing Process
- Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment
- Other Student Grievances
- Weapons on Campus
- Policy on Possession, Use and Sale of Alcoholic Beverages and Illegal Drugs and Drug Abuse Education Programs
- Hazing Prevention
- Bias Crimes Prevention
- Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence and Stalking Prevention
- Maintenance of Order Policy
- Student Bill of Rights