Housing FAQs

Q. What are the advantages of living on campus?

A. The main advantage is living just a three-minute walk from campus, which provides easy access to classes and other college facilities, such as, the library, pool, and fitness center. The dorms offer apartment-style living with a private, locked bedroom for each person, a full kitchen and bath in each apartment, and an active community.  Resident Assistants (RAs) and Residence Hall Council offer a variety of activities throughout the semester for students. Residence Life and Student Activities provide van transportation for activities and errands for students in the residence halls.

Q. What is the cost and what is the housing discount?

A. Rooms are $4,386/semester. Included in the cost are utilities, laundry, cable service, high-speed and wireless Internet access. You can save $250 with our Housing Discount if you sign the housing contract and submit your deposit by July 1, 2024. 

Q. When does the housing process begin?

A. The housing process for students who are new to the College generally begins in mid-March for the fall semester and early November for new students for the spring semester.

Q. Where do I eat?

A. Students living in the dorms are required to purchase a meal plan. In addition, each apartment has a full kitchen including refrigerator/freezer, stove/oven. Microwaves are available in some kitchens. If one is not present you may bring your own.

Q. Do you have on-campus housing available for the spring semester?

A. Yes, we do have some room availability in on-campus housing for the spring semester. The Housing Criteria Checklist and Residence Hall Contract for spring housing are available in early November.

Q. When do I find out if I have a room in campus housing?

A. We begin notifying students that they have a room in campus housing in early May for the fall semester and in mid-December for students beginning in the spring semester. If you have sent in a contract or deposit but have not completed the process, you will be sent a letter telling you what items on the checklist are still not completed.

Q. How do I get a room in campus housing?

A. Campus Housing is offered on a first-come, first-served basis once you have met all the criteria outlined in the Housing Criteria Checklist.

Q. When is the best time to send in my housing contract and security deposit?

A. We accept contracts and security deposits as long as we have rooms available, but the best time to send them in is between March and May if you are interested in housing for the fall semester and between November and mid-December for new students for the spring semester. 

Q. Is there a waitlist to get into housing?

A. Once campus housing is full, we will maintain a waitlist for students who have completed all the items on the Housing Criteria Checklist.

Q. How many residence halls are there?

A. There are seven residence halls; five of them have been built since 1998.

Q. How many students live in the residence halls?

A. There is space for approximately 820 students in the residence halls. 

Q. How does the College know if someone is interested in living in campus housing?

A. Providing a housing contract or paying a security deposit indicates to us that you are interested in campus housing. However, you must complete all the items on the Housing Criteria Checklist before you are offered a room.

Q. Are freshman required to live on campus?

A. No, but living on campus offers new students the opportunity to live close to the academic building and many options for social and educational activities outside of class.

Q. Are freshman guaranteed campus housing?

A. No, however, most students interested in housing are able to obtain on-campus housing. Completing your housing contract and other requirements by May for the fall semester will help to ensure your ability to live on campus. For the spring semester, new students should try to complete the process by mid-December or very early in January.

Q. What are the residence halls like?

A. Tompkins Cortland Community College Residence Halls provide apartment-style living including individual locked bedrooms, a shared kitchen, living area and bathroom in each apartment. All but a few apartments house four persons. Common areas are furnished with a kitchen table or counter and chairs, sofa (couch), chairs and end tables. All students have a private bedroom with bed (XL twin), desk, dresser, closet and cable connections for TV and Internet. Your TC3 Card is used to access your dorm. There are laundry facilities available in each building.

Q. What about internet?

A. High-speed internet service (wired and wifi) is included in the rent price.

Q. Where can I do my laundry?

A. There are laundry facilities provided on every floor in each of the buildings. Laundry fees are included in the cost of housing; no coins or other payment is needed for use. 

Q. Are the residence halls or apartments co-ed?

A. Generally, students are placed in apartments based on gender, however, there is an option for gender inclusive housing. If this is something you are interested in, indicate that on your Housing Preference and Roommate Survey. Please contact us with any questions. 

Q. How do I get my mail?

A. Mail pick up is consolidated to two buildings. Be sure when ordering packages to use your residence hall mailing address.

Q. Can I pick the residence hall of my choice?

A. Once you are offered a room, you will have the opportunity to do a Housing Preference and Roommate Survey. On the survey you can indicate if you have a residence hall preference. We will do our best to honor your request, but please keep in mind there are no guarantees regarding residence hall preferences.

Q. Can I pick my own roommates?

A. Once you are offered a room, you will have the opportunity to do a Housing Preference and Roommate Survey. On the survey you can indicate if you have a roommate preference. The roommate also has to have been offered a room and also has to request you. We will do our best to honor your request, but please keep in mind there are no guarantees regarding roommate preferences. If you do not request specific roommates, we use the preferences you do indicate and try to house you with students with similar preferences.

Q. What if I have a disability or medical issue that requires special housing accommodations?

A. If you have particular disability or medical-related needs for housing (could be anything from allergies to carpeting, hearing issues which would require special alarms, mobility issues which would require 1st floor or an elevator, etc), contact the Coordinator of Access and Equity Services at 607-844-8222, ext 4283, to discuss reasonable accommodations. Accommodations might include assignment to a particular building or apartment or availability of specialized equipment. Appropriate documentation of medical issue or disability will be required.

Q. What things will I need to bring when I move into the dorms?

A. When you are offered a room, you will be sent a Housing Supply List which itemizes things to bring and things you may not bring to the residence halls.

Q. When will I find out about my building assignment and the names of my roommates?

A. The Office of Residence Life will send you information telling you your building assignment and provide contact information for your roommates in early August for the fall semester and in mid-January for new students for the spring semester.

Q. Are there any special types of housing?  If so, how can I get into them?

A. We offer the following types of specialty housing that you can select on the Housing Preference and Roommate Survey:
Break Housing – For students who will need to be on campus during all break periods when the college is not in session (e.g.Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break), break housing is available. Break housing does cost more; see the housing contract for details.
First-Year Experience – involvement and are geared toward the needs of first-time college students. 
Wellness Community – This community is focused on the entire spectrum of wellness, including physical, mental/emotional, and social wellness. The majority of student athletes live in this community, among others who value a commitment to wellness. 
Quiet Living Community – This floor will have extended quiet hours to provide a study-focused area.

Q. Who has access to the residence halls?

A. All residence halls are secured 24 hours a day. If you live in the dorms, your TC3 Card is authorized to admit you into all residence halls. You are allowed to enter your building of residence 24 hours each day. You will only be able to enter other residence halls using your ID card between the hours of 7 a.m. and midnight each day. You must contact a resident in another hall to gain entry to that hall after midnight. Any guests must be accompanied by their host at all times in the residence halls.

Q. How is safety ensured in the residence halls?

A. Each apartment and individual bedroom is key-entry. The residence halls use a swipe-card entry system and are locked 24 hours each day. Campus Police work with the residence life staff to provide a safe and secure environment. Additionally, security cameras are in each building. Campus Police patrol the residence halls regularly. Resident Assistants (RAs) and a Resident Director (RD) are also on duty each night; RAs can be found in the RA Offices during the evenings and reached through the duty cell phone outside of their office hours. Residents are required to comply with instructions provided by Campus Police and Residence Life staff. Details about campus fire safety and our Emergency Response Guide are available from the Campus Police.

Q. Am I allowed to have a car on campus?

A. All students are allowed to have cars on campus. There are parking lots outside of the residence halls for residential students. All cars must be registered with the Office of Residence Life, and parking guidelines are strictly enforced.

Q. How do I get around if I don’t have a car?

A. Both Tompkins and Cortland counties have public bus transportation that have specific runs that come to the College. Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit (TCAT) has service that includes morning, mid-day, evening and weekend hours with weekend service directly to the Residence Halls. First Transit-Cortland has morning and afternoon weekday service to Cortland. Discount bus pass information is available through the TC3 Card Office. The Residence Life staff also offer van shuttles to various local services and programs. You can find additional information about bus and taxi service, regional airports, and ride share on our transportation page.

Q. If I need to, can I move out of the residence halls?

A. The residence hall license is a Fall/Spring, two-semester, academic-year contract. Students who graduate in December who are not enrolled for the spring semester, are released from the contract. Students who decide not to register for spring classes will forfeit their security deposit; other circumstances require the written permission of the Director of Residence Life. Releases typically require documented medical reasons or activation of military duty. See the contract for more details.