Survey and Research Application
Seeking Survey Approval?
Use the links below to see if your survey qualifies for approval by the IR Department.
Research Approval Request
Human Participant Guidelines
Survey Design Tips
SARRC (Survey and Research Review Committee)
Our mission is to review and approve research proposals, especially surveys at Tompkins Cortland to make sure that they comply with internal as well as federal and state guidelines for research with human participants. We also help provide best practices and support for potential researchers.
2020-21 committee members
Eric Sambolec, Chair
Best Practices of Survey Research
Once you have decided that you want to administer a survey to any part of the TC3 community, here is a check list:
- Create a written statement about the objectives of your survey.
- Determine how and by whom the results of this survey will be used. Will you need IRB approval?
- Determine who will receive the survey and how.
- Write your survey and pilot-test the questions. Determine who will compile the survey population, administer the survey, and handle the data analysis.
- Determine when and how long the survey will be administered.
- Submit a TC3 Research Approval Request.
Note that the TC3 Survey & Research Review Committee (SARRC) meets monthly during the fall and spring semesters. For your survey to be reviewed at the committee’s next meeting, submit your Survey Approval form by the 23rd of the preceding month. Within 3 business days after the committee meets, you will receive an email indicating IRB approval or non-approval of your survey application.
It is not possible to retrospectively review and approve a project once data collection has begun. If you are unsure how your data could be used in the future, err on the side of caution and submit a Research Approval form asking for IRB approval. If you would like documentation indicating that IRB approval is not needed, submit a Survey Approval form by the 23rd of the preceding month. If you have any questions, email IR@TompkinsCortland.edu.