Academic Advising


Each full-time student is assigned to a faculty member for academic advisement, and usually stays with the same advisor until graduation unless you change degree programs. Part-time students are usually advised through Student Success.

  • Academic advisors have an understanding of the degree requirements for each degree program, as well as information about career and transfer possibilities for the program.
  • In addition, advisors can explain College policies and regulations.
  • An advisor is accessible through regularly posted office hours or by appointment and can also be reached via office, phone, Microsoft Teams, and email. Advisors can also be helpful in connecting you with campus resources, such as tutoring or counseling.

Meeting an Advisor

It is recommended that you meet with your advisors for the first time early in your first semester at the College to discuss goals and to begin long-term planning for your degree program. At a minimum, you will meet with your advisor each semester prior to registering for the following semester’s classes. You will also need to meet with your advisor any time you want to make changes to your schedule during a semester (drop/add/withdraw).

Changing Degree Programs

  • If you are interested in changing degree programs you need to meet with an academic advisor to fill out a Change of Program form.
  • If you are staying within the same discipline, such as changing from the Criminal Justice A.S. to the A.A.S., you can meet with your current academic advisor to make the change. Otherwise, you should make an appointment with someone from Student Success to assist you with the change. It is important to understand how any courses you have already taken will fit into the new degree program, as well as understand the impact of the change in academic goals. Sometimes, there are also financial aid considerations that need to be discussed. 

Contacting an Advisor

Academic advisement is available for you even if you do not take classes on the main campus. You can always contact your advisor by phone or email. You can also make appointments with your academic advisor in Starfish.